Social Security Number Protection Policy
The purpose of this Social Security Number Protection Policy (this “Policy”) is to protect the confidentiality of Social Security numbers handled by Dun & Bradstreet Inc. and any of its worldwide subsidiaries and affiliates (“D&B”) and to maintain full compliance with all relevant privacy and data protection laws (“Applicable Law”). D&B is committed to protecting the privacy and integrity of information entrusted to us.
A Social Security number is a unique number in the format of 000-00-000 assigned by the U.S. government. This Policy applies to Social Security numbers handled by D&B in connection with its business operations, including, but not limited to, the Social Security numbers of D&B employees, employees’ family members, and to Social Security numbers provided by any third party to the extent D&B is made aware that it is receiving Social Security numbers. This Policy is in addition to, and supplements other D&B policies.
Collection and Use
- Social Security numbers should be collected only when necessary to conduct business and in compliance with Applicable Law.
- We will not knowingly share an individual’s Social Security number publicly. This includes all forms of communication, both oral and written.
- Cards required for an individual to access products or services will not have an individual’s Social Security number (or any portion thereof) printed on them. This includes any cards required to access D&B facilities.
- Social Security numbers will not be required to be submitted over the Internet, unless the connection is secure or the Social Security number is encrypted.
- Individuals will not be required to use a Social Security number to access Internet Websites, unless a password or unique personal identification number or other authentication device is also required.
- We will protect the confidentiality of Social Security numbers by taking reasonable precautions, including administrative, technical, and physical measures necessary to protect Social Security numbers against loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
- We will limit access to Social Security numbers to those with a legitimate need to know.
- We will limit access to Social Security numbers to third parties who process Social Security numbers on D&B’s behalf or provide legal, accounting or other services to the company, provided that these third parties have a contractual or legal duty to appropriately protect the Social Security numbers.
- Social Security numbers no longer retained will be anonymized, returned, destroyed or otherwise disposed of in a manner that protects against loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
- This Policy does not prohibit the collection, use or release of Social Security numbers as required by state or federal law or when used for D&B’s general administrative purposes, internal verification or fraud investigation.
- All D&B personnel are accountable for complying with this Policy, and unlawful use or disclosure of Social Security numbers is prohibited. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
If you are aware of or concerned about a possible breach of Social Security numbers, please contact the D&B Compliance Hotline at (800) 261-8552 or https://dnb.alertline.com, or contact the Global Compliance and Legal Risk Group at email@example.com or (973) 921-5500.
If you have any questions regarding this Policy or D&B’s team member data privacy practices, please contact D&B Corporate Privacy at firstname.lastname@example.org, Corporate Compliance at email@example.com or your HR Business Partner.
Effective Date: April 22, 2014